Information overload...
I have been spending this week packing up my room. Improvements have been made but more work need to be done on a daily basis. From the accumulated pile of papers and books, I sorted out piles of source codes, self-improvement materials, tutorials and lab sheets. Many to be recycled or throw away due to the fact that I have new priorities for my learning and not because I had completely mastered them.
I have also piled up a stack of publications that I had ranging from IT Publications such as PC Mag, Hardware Mag to Industry Publications such as Network World Asia and TelecomAsia to Investment Mag such as Fundsupermart. Now that a whole load of publications in addition to my regular online subscriptions as well as daily newspapers.
Indeed, in this era of Information age where knowledge is power, everyone has the tendency to want to sift through every single article. However, I think that it had been a 10 times or even a 100 times harder than a century ago due to the exponential growing amount of information that the world is producing each day.
What I had really done is to filter down the information according to my priority. An example of that would be skimming through a newspaper reading more relevant articles instead of reading word for word, or sitting through a condensed news broadcast. This would cut down required reading to half, not much, but sure adds up to a bit over the long run.
Definitely, more thoughts are required to address this issue as there are no universal solutions for this ever growing problem.
Just some food for thought. Anyway, if you have a useful strategy, do share with me.

No comments:
Post a Comment